Monday, November 30, 2009

If You Give a Mom a Book

So we read this the week before Thanksgiving, but I am just now able to post about it! Six crows by Leo Lionni!!! I, we love, love, love Lionni's books!!! I had read one of his books (by chance...The Biggest House in the World) a long time ago. My kids loved it...it was the first book to really capture my little Austin's attention. Then, I was asking a mom friend of mine, whom I admire, about her choices of books to read to her kids. She suggested the list from the back of Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt. She photocopied the years that would apply to me and I headed out list in hand to the library. To be honest I had not really used the library since highschool. We'd been there for movies and books, but to use the catalog online to look up books...not in a looooonnnngggg time! So I had to humbly ask for Gerrad's help to figure it out. As I loaded up the the "good" books I was a proud mamma and super dooper excited because I knew the books had some sort of substance to them, not just silly entertaining stories. We read and read and read! The kids LOVED them and sat more still than ever before. I still find that read a Sustaining Book proves to provide a calmer story time than any other type of book...they kids learn more and seem more interested in "what happens".

So for Six Crows...
I read a miriad of books that week and the kids all agreed and picked Six Crows as their favorite of the week! I was pleased! The book teaches many lessons:
1. Things aren't always what they seem.
2. It's never too late to talk things over.
3. It's better to use your words first to work out your problems or you can just end up creating bigger problems.
4. Happiness results when calm words and willing hearts are present.

We enjoyed this book very much and learned GREAT lessons from it!!! I hope you can too!!!

2 Comments:

At November 30, 2009 at 2:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

How cool! I haven't read this particular book . . . but am so very interested to! Things aren't always what they seem. So true. Even when we see our kids do something and judge their actions before hearing the full story! Oh, by the way, the link is up!

 
At November 30, 2009 at 4:52 PM , Blogger Cascia Talbert said...

Those sound like great lessons! I haven't read that book yet either.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home